It can be hard to stand out in the beauty industry. That’s because there are so many beauty products – makeup brands, wellness brands, indie beauty brands, product launches, makeup artists, and more always vying for attention.
In the past, it was easy to send out a press release to reach a target audience with the goal of building brand awareness or promoting new beauty products. Now, it takes a little more than hiring a PR agency to do just that. (Unfortunately, blasting press releases is something PR agencies still do.)
How to do Public Relations for Beauty Products
Today, PR professionals need to work in different ways to get meaningful media coverage for beauty brands and beauty products, like:
- reaching industry insiders in unique ways instead of just sending an email
- implementing social media campaigns with micro-influencers
- building relationships with top media contacts and makeup gurus
- developing brand story newsworthiness to earn traditional media coverage
- creating significant buzz with new content on your own social media channels as well as other online media to build a brand on your own land and control the narrative
Starting Public Relations for Beauty Products
Whether you’re a beauty client, sell beauty tools, want to build an international brand, have a goal of a unique feature in Harper’s Bazaar, the best way to earn media attention is to capitalize on a trending topic, with the right person, at the right time.
It can take top beauty PR firms years of experience to find a story idea that hits just right to be a media relations success. For this, depth of knowledge of the media industry is key. That’s why my team is made up of former TV, print, and online journalists. It makes a big difference in executing public relations services successfully!
Public Relations Ideas for Beauty Products
There is so much gray area in marketing today than there ever has been before. All beauty product brands, new brands and established brands, should be looking at a variety of both traditional marketing and digital marketing, like:
- utilizing at two social media platforms where your ideal customer is
- influencer marketing, like partnering with social media influencers to spread the word about a new product launch, for example
- attending an indie beauty expo and sponsoring a giveaway
- sending PR boxes to top beauty editors and other right contacts who are in the playing field
- collaborating with lifestyle brands by inserting your brand voice in the content marketing you create together
Media Maven Working With Beauty Products
To see what the Media Maven team has done for the beauty and fashion brand Little Words Project, click here. If you don’t feel like scrolling through more than 260 pages of earned media hits, here are some highlights.
Little Words Project came to us when they were under $2 million a year in revenue. In the first year of working with the accessory brand, they doubled in revenue and opened a brick-and-mortar location. Some of the coverage we earned includes:
- multiple appearances on the Today Show with a feature on the female business owner as well as the product,
- Pop Sugar for jewelry trends,
- New York Post for the Nordstrom anniversary sale,
- Oprah Magazine for fashion that encourages you to vote,
- Hello Giggles for brands that empower women,
- Yahoo! for Mother’s Day gift ideas,
- E! News for graduation gift ideas,
- Cosmopolitan for election gear,
- Glamour for holiday gifts under $25,
- and a founder feature in Forbes.
In addition to working with the original one-word bracelet, we’ve also worked with Discount Glasses for years. DiscountGlasses.com is a long-time client under the National Vision Umbrella (America’s Best, Eyeglass World, etc.).
Some coverage includes an inside look at the naming of glasses in The Columbus Dispatch, where the company headquarters are based, and:
- Rolling Stone for Memorial Day sales
- CNN for Memorial Day sales
- HuffPost for Memorial Day sales
- Thrillest for Friday deals
- US News & World Report for best Labor Day sales
- NBC News for Labor Day sales
- Bustle for Pi Day deals
If you’d like to learn more about how Media Maven can help you reach your publicity goals for your beauty, fashion, or lifestyle product, please click here.